The Diversity Committee presents recipes from all around the world. Try this tasty dish from Peru.
Peruvian Chicken Soup (Aguadito de Pollo)
· 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut in half
· salt and pepper to taste
· 1/2 cup olive oil
· 1 medium onion, chopped
· 1 teaspoon minced garlic
· 1 tablespoon seeded, minced serrano chile
· 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
· 1 cup green peas
· 1 cup corn
· 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
· 10 cups chicken broth
· 4 Yukon Gold potatoes, cut in half
· 1 cup uncooked white rice
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and serrano chili; cook until the onion has softened, about 1 minute. Add the chicken, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the cilantro, peas, corn, and red pepper; cook for 1 minute. Pour in the chicken broth, potatoes, and rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes.