Planning to Transfer to a University?

About 80% of our transfer students go to UNCC, though we have had students go to Purdue, Old Dominion, and other universities throughout the US. Our Electrical Engineering Technology and Computer Engineering Technology programs were designed for university transfer and specifically in partnership with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) to make transferring credits to a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering Technology at UNCC as easy as possible. Most of the specific information below regards UNCC, but the same process is used for any other university’s Engineering Technology program you may be interested in.

It is a step-by step process:

  1. Actively plan out your CPCC classes and meet with a faculty advisor every semester to stay on track.
  2. Research which other universities you may be interested in going to. In-state tuition is often the cheapest option. Make sure the program is accredited by ABET, which is the accreditation body of engineering and technology. This will be stated somewhere on the school’s website. You can do a specific site search to find it, for example, google “Abet”  (without quotations) If the school is not accredited, then don’t waste you time or money there because the degree won’t be worth as much (or likely anything at all) to a future employer.
  3. Scour their website for information on the 4-year BSET (Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering Technology) programs. Look to see how they handle transfer credits and transfer strudents. Do they have a special “2+2” program?
  4. Search for the Engineering Technology department’s student advisor or transfer advisor’s contact information
  5. Create a paper folder with print outs of your CPCC program evaluation/transcript, the program you are interested in joining, and try to map out your remaining semesters at both CPCC and your school of interest.
  6. At the beginning of your last semester at CPCC, contact the transfer advisor in the Electrical Engineering Technology program of the university (or universities) you plan to go to. Set up an in -person meeting with them if need be.
  7. Come to the meeting dressed business casual, bring all of your paper records and plans you have made. Show up 15 minutes early (to make sure you are on time).  Be aware that the plan you made might change based on what the transfer advisor says. Try to get them to write down a plan on paper for you and to have them sign and date it. This will help you in case you end up speaking with another advisor in the future who does not know the details of your plan. Sometimes they refuse to do so, that just means that what they say may change if you get another advisor.
  8. Keep all paperwork for advising together and revisit it every semester as well as contacting your faculty advisor to make sure you are still on track.

If a CPCC student follows the 2-year plan at CPCC as described by the flier and flowchart found here, they should be contacting the transfer advisor at the university of their choice in their final semester at CPCC. As with CPCC, Universities expect you to be a proactive planner of your own education to the best of your ability. Here’s UNCC’s list of student responsibilities for advising.

You can see how UNCC’s transfer program works here.

Check to see how your CPCC General Education credits transfer to UNCC here.Then compare the technical courses of your degree to UNCC’s BSET Electrical Engineering Transfer credit checklist.  This will help give you a better idea of which classes you will need to take to finish your BS degree at UNCC.

Make sure you do as much of your homework as possible before contacting the transfer advisors. We suggest going through your program evaluation. Even bring a printed out folder. The two people you should contact at UNCC about transferring to the ET department is the department chair, Dr. Yamilka Baez-Rivera ( )

*Note that UNCC can only accept 64 credit hours from a community college transfer  and UNCC cannot transfer any classes from a community college that would equate to something in their junior or senior year courses.