Student Story: Meet Sakinah Harris-James

Meet Sakinah Harris-James, a proud Vance High School and Central Piedmont Community College alum. Reflecting on her journey, Sakinah shares, “I chose Central Piedmont’s teacher licensure program for its excellent reputation and strong curriculum. The program’s practical approach to teacher training has further prepared me on this teaching journey.”

Driven by a passion for education, Sakinah aspires to make a positive impact. “Teaching allows me to share my knowledge, inspire young minds, and contribute to shaping the future generations,” she says. She highlights Central Piedmont’s supportive community: “The opportunity to interact with diverse faculty and students has enriched my educational experience. The college promotes inclusion and encourages collaboration, creating meaningful relationships and important networking skills.”

Looking ahead, Sakinah envisions a career filled with diverse experiences. “My goal is to become a highly effective and compassionate teacher who can adapt to students’ individual needs,” she explains. Beyond teaching, she dreams of opening a tutoring center in Charlotte. “I want to establish an inclusive and supportive learning environment, where everyone, regardless of their educational challenges, would feel welcome and empowered to excel.”

As she prepares to graduate, Sakinah advises future Central Piedmont students: “Actively engage in the college community, participate in clubs, and utilize resources for a fulfilling experience.” For her, Central Piedmont has been more than an institution; it’s been a supportive environment where obstacles were conquered and goals were achieved.

Sakinah’s journey took a unique turn from dreaming of pediatric nursing to pursuing teaching, inspired by the transformative experience of motherhood. “Becoming a parent opened my eyes to the importance of education and its impact on shaping a child’s future,” she shares. Now, with a clear vision of a tutoring center, Sakinah is determined to make a lasting difference, addressing academic but also social and emotional needs to empower students to succeed.