Student Story: Joan Laos-Garavito

Joan holding a camera and smiling as he looks through it.“Central Piedmont has been my beacon of opportunity,” declares Joan S. Laos-Garavito, a determined individual whose journey embodies resilience and a relentless drive for knowledge. Hailing from Bogotá, Colombia, Joan’s path to academic success is a testament to tenacity.

Choosing Central Piedmont was a strategic decision. “I decided to attend Central Piedmont because it offers quality and affordable education,” Joan shares. This choice was a crucial steppingstone to fulfilling his aspirations. Graduating from Sharpstown HS in Houston, TX, Joan’s determination led him to pursue an IT Networking Technologies degree. Through the NC Works NexGen Program, Joan triumphed over economic adversities.In addition to assisting him with tuition and textbooks, the program also provided him with work experience as an employee of Central Piedmont.

Joan’s journey led him to become an employee at Central Piedmont’s ESL (English as a Second Language) department. Drawing from his passion for video recording and editing, he creates videos showcasing the college’s programs.  “It’s rewarding to help ESL students communicate their achievements to loved ones,” Joan shares, highlighting his dedication to supporting others.
“What I enjoy about Central Piedmont is the diversity of its students and staff and the quality of education,” Joan reflects. His journey has been enriched by experiences like being part of the Soccer Club, creating a sense of community within the campus.

His ability to navigate through the pandemic was a true test of his resilience. “The pandemic deprived me of the full college experience, and on top of that, I faced the loss of loved ones back in Colombia,” he recalls. Despite these hurdles, his family’s support has been his strength, motivating him to keep moving forward.

Joan’s fascination with technology is a result of the influence his father had on him growing up. “Thanks to my father, I’ve had access to technology,” he explains. “I began editing videos just for fun, but I’ve always wanted to understand how computers and the internet enable effective communication.”

His goal is to enter the workforce and acquire more experience in the field of information technology. However, he intends to never give up on learning new things. When Joan graduates from Central Piedmont, he plans to become certified in Network+ and Security+.

Joan’s advice for future Central Piedmont students: “College and University can the best part of life! Have fun, make connections, but keep a lookout on your deadlines.”