Student Story: Christina Olmstead

Student with a big smile holding a notepad and pen.Christina Olmstead is a Human Services Technology adult learner who is set to graduate in our May 2023 commencement ceremony.

Christina is the president of the Human Services Club, site-based parent liaison for Kensington Elementary, and current intern with the Council on Aging Union County. Christina became unemployed after the COVID-19 pandemic caused her former industry to cease to exist. Due to the fact that it had been 16 years since she had been in school, she knew returning back to school would be a challenge. Christina made the right decision.

“Two weeks prior to the start of my first semester, I unexpectedly separated from my husband of 13 years and found myself an unemployed, single mother of two boys. In those moments of fear and uncertainty, I almost un-enrolled from my courses. However, I made a decision and chose to attend just my first day of classes. From the second I stepped foot onto campus and into those classes, I knew right then and there I was absolutely where I was supposed to be. The passion and dedication from my instructor gave me the immediate source of strength I needed to continue on. Their enthusiasm and support encouraged me to, one step at a time, never give up and keep moving forward.”

“I specifically chose Central Piedmont because I found the culture’s positive sense of community offered me the opportunity to reenter the academic world in a supportive and encouraging climate. Central Piedmont has provided an academic experience that not only compliments my current goals but utilizes a strength-based system of support for all of their students,” says Christina.

Christina aims to obtain admission to a graduate-level social work program, and she is on the right track so far. She plans to work in gerontology after completing her graduate course to provide seniors with equitable care and lifestyle management. “As a child, I lost my mother as a victim to domestic violence. My grandparents took over as my legal guardians and I spent much of my young life seeing how they aged throughout the years. At the time I was old enough to notice and acknowledge their struggles as senior citizens but too young to support them through their challenges,” explains Christina.

Christina’s experience at Central Piedmont has been an amazing one. Throughout her time here, she has experienced genuine support from all of her professors, for which she expresses gratitude and respect.

Christina’s advice for future Central Piedmont students: “Choosing intentionally can be the first step to future success.”