Meet the Parr Center muralists

Colorful wall mural of faces and icons of Central Piedmont

A portion of the Parr Center mural

Central Piedmont recently unveiled “Conquer Possibility,” a large-scale mural in the Parr Center. The mural honors the past history of the college, documents the present, and reflects the aspirations of Central Piedmont students for the future. Meet the artists who created this piece and stop by the Parr Center for the full interactive mural experience.

Woman leaning against a wall

Rosalia Weiner

Meet Rosalia Weiner:

When did you realize that you wanted to tap into your passion and talent of being an artist?
I have wanted to be an artist since I was a small child, my earlies memory is when I was 5. Unfortunately, my parents discouraged me from a career in the arts and guided me towards other studies. A large factor in me immigrating to the US was the pursuit of my dreams including becoming an artist. Thank you America!!!

Who/what has been your biggest artistic influence?
“Los Tres Grandes” The leaders of the muralist movement in Mexico! David Alfaro Siqueiros, Jose Clemente Orozco and Diego Rivera, and of course – Frida Kahlo and my native town “Xochimilco” where we grow flowers!

What inspired you to participate in this project?
The rich history of Central Piedmont Community College and the amazing work they do to prepare the next workforce and help others achieve their dreams (like me a former CPCC student).

What is your favorite part of the mural?
The students portraits we selected from the FB Student Stories and the inspiring stories behind them.

Meet Felicia Sutton:

Woman smiling, standing with her arms crossed

Felicia Sutton

What are your personal favorite colors to work with?
My color palette changes, but recently I have been using a lot of gold and pastels in my work.

As a first generation college student who attended Central Piedmont who went on to teach art classes myself, I really felt I could relate to the students, faculty, and staff. I wanted to create something beautiful to represent them.

Choosing a favorite part is so hard, but I am really excited about the element of augmented reality we have incorporated into our design. I love the fusion of technology and art.

Fun fact about yourself/ other passions/hobbies?
I love to travel, and have been to many different countries all over the world. This is another big inspiration for my work.