Student Success Story: Bonifacio Sanchez Garnica

Bonifacio Sanchez-Garnica

To Bonifacio Sanchez Garnica, Central Piedmont represents a new beginning.⭐️

The first-generation college student dropped out of college at a four-year institution more than five years ago due to financial reasons. Hurdling that life obstacle was difficult for Bonifacio, but he recovered. Unfortunately, just as he was beginning to find his footing and discover a path forward, the pandemic hit.

At the time, Bonifacio owned and operated a small residential framing company, a business that was significantly impacted by COVID-19, and lost a lot of work as a result of the pandemic. He soon found himself with a lot of time on his hands – time that he used to reflect on his life and what he wanted to do next. 🤔

“I knew I needed a change,” said Bonifacio. “So, after discussing the options with my wife, we decided to move out of our hometown of Wilmington, North Carolina, and make a fresh start in Charlotte.”

The Sanchezs are currently both attending school – she’s enrolled at UNC Charlotte, studying psychology – and Bonifacio’s at Central Piedmont, earning an associate degree in business. The couple hope to one day go into business together, with Bonifacio serving as the financial manager and data analyst for that future company.🤝 

“Being in school has pushed me to try new things, such as clubs or extracurricular activities that I wouldn’t have otherwise tried if I had been on my own,” explains Bonifacio. “At Central Piedmont, I’ve really stepped outside my comfort zone and made it a point to be open to new experiences. The time I spend participating in the college’s Campus Activity Board and Rotoract is some of the most rewarding to me; it’s what I’ve enjoyed most about attending here.”😁