Student Story: Mandy Watson

Mandy Watson is a remarkable May 2023 graduate of the Baking and Pastry program at Central Piedmont. Her passion and unstoppable determination drove her to gain acceptance into Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society, obtain an internship with Executive Pastry Chef April Franqueza of High Hampton Resort in Cashiers, NC, and graduate with honors.

Mandy’s decision to attend Central Piedmont wasn’t solely about academics; it was about turning a passion into a career. “I chose Central Piedmont because of its exceptional culinary program with American Culinary Federation Certification and affordability,” Mandy shares.

Scholarships have notably helped Mandy pursue excellence. The NC Education Lottery Scholarship and the NC Community College Grant have played a crucial role in easing her financial burden. As an adult student with an existing small business and familial responsibilities, these scholarships have enabled Mandy to focus on her studies and plans without the added stress of financial constraints.

Mandy’s journey has been illuminated by mentors who doubled as instructors. “Chef Tanya, Chef Jenn, Chef Sandy, and Chef Tessia have been more than just instructors.” Mandy reveals, “Chef Tessia’s encouragement pushed me to explore new flavors and techniques that have helped expand my pallet and make my dreams a reality.” Mandy’s advice for other Central Piedmont students: “Utilize your instructors. Ask questions and keep an open mind when they critique your creations and ideas. Instructors are there to help you be the best you can be.”

So what should we expect to see from Mandy in the future? “Food should be an experience. I dream of owning a food truck that brings moments of joy to my customers and allows them to discover flavors they haven’t experienced before.”

Mandy is set to open Wicked Provisions Bakehouse, a new European-style bakery in Hickory, NC, in October 2023. Check it out on Instagram: @wicked.provisions.bakehouse