Student Story: Vivian Asare

Vivian Asare wears a huge smile, curly hair and suit jacket while holding her glasses off to the side.

Vivian Asare is first-generation adult learner from Ghana, country of Western Africa. She decided to attend Central Piedmont to fulfill her dreams of becoming a nurse.

Originally attending Central Piedmont in 2000, she had to put her academic journey on hold to give birth to twins and to focus on raising them. Vivian’s family loves Central Piedmont. Her twins both attended the Middle College program along with her 16-year-old who currently attends at the Cato Campus.

After her oldest two children graduated from high school, they insisted that their mother return to school to pursue her dreams. “Caring for others has always been at the core of my life, so I felt the need to pursue my passions so I can better advocate for my special needs son and others just like him,” says Vivian.

Central Piedmont’s culture of inclusion and diversity is one of Vivian’s favorite aspects of attending here. “My class schedule is flexible at the college, which I appreciate. In addition, all campuses are well equipped with a variety of resources that are available to all students,” explains Vivian. Vivian felt supported even being a non-traditional college student who has been away from school for 20 years. From the moment she arrived back on campus, she fit right in with both younger and older students.

Advice for other Central Piedmont students: “It is not too late to start over. Central Piedmont has all of the resources to help you achieve your goals. If time is your problem, they have flexible schedules. If money is your problem, they have a vast number of scholarships and financial aid available. If transportation is your problem, campuses have bus routes. Finally, if studying is your problem, Central Piedmont has an insane amount of academic support to guide you through your struggles.”