Student Story: Melissa Lopez

Student Melissa Lopez smiling and holding a small copy of the New Testament and psalms.Melissa Lopez, a non-traditional adult learner, is studying Criminal Justice Technology at Central Piedmont. Melissa came from Venezuela with her parents and three brothers when she was just 6 years old. Coming from another country, her parents instilled in them that learning English and getting an education was important.

The flexibility of creating her own schedule made Central Piedmont an obvious choice for Melissa. “Being a full-time business owner and a mom, convenience was important to me. I have been able to set my own schedule while working on assignments and that has been a game changer for me,” explains Melissa. Melissa’s education goals are to transfer to a 4-year institution and pursue her bachelor’s degree in social work and to minor in Spanish and Criminal Justice at the end of this semester.

In the year 2020, Melissa and her family overcame a life-changing and traumatic event together. This event altered the dynamic of the family and was very hard to adjust to. “Everything that I have accomplished has been only by the grace of God. It has been through tears, sadness and in some instances, brokenness, but God sustained me through it all and he showed me my worth and that there is no one or anything above him,” says Melissa.