Veteran’s Day at CPCC

While I was still in the military, one of my professors said to get involved, and I wrote “Get Involved” in big letters across the top of my page. My friend made fun of me for it, but it has been one of the best pieces of advice I’ve taken yet. No matter what it is, school, relationships, or work, the best way to succeed is to get involved! Getting involved at Central Piedmont Community College has been an excellent decision in my life. I am a veteran and decided to involve myself with the Center for Military Families and Veterans last semester when I returned to college after a decade long hiatus . In doing this, I became part of a support network that feels like a family. The fact that we’re all veterans or have family who served helps a lot, but it really boils down to the fact that it is a close caring group of people who will do anything they can to look out for each other. Being involved with this family like community has pushed me to do well in class, given me the opportunity to meet a lot of really amazing people, and I was even able to obtain a work study position within the Center. It has really helped me feel purpose and made my time here enjoyable and successful.

John McCall
Military Veteran and CPCC student