FAQ

Blackboard/eLearning FAQs – Faculty
Hint: use Ctrl+F to search for keywords on this page 

1 – Why are my new shells empty/blank and what do I do?

2 – Why don’t I see my students in my Blackboard/Moodle shell?

3 – How do I make my Blackboard/Moodle course available to students?

4 – How can I email my students before the semester/my class begins?

5 – Why can’t I see my Semester Shell?

6 – How do I remove/hide old semester shells from my Blackboard Course listing?

7- How do I combine multiple sections of a course?

8 – I want to combine multiple sections of a course, but my sections aren’t appearing on the list in the CAW. What is the problem and what should I do?

9 – How can I use Moodle instead of Blackboard for my course(s)?

10 – I want to Moodleize my course, but my course isn’t appearing when I click on Moodleize Your Course in the CAW. What is the problem and what should I do?

11 – How can I help my students find my Moodle course(s) since they generally look first in Blackboard?

12  – How do I copy a Blackboard course?

13 – I’m a Program/Discipline Chair or Division Director:  how can I request the Core or Division Master be copied into multiple shells?

14 – My course copy didn’t go through/has errors/has duplicated or triplicated content, etc. What should I do?

15 – How do I provide extended test/quiz time in Blackboard for a student who has a reasonable accommodation from Disability Services?

16 – My students can’t see/don’t have access to their grades in my Blackboard course. What should I do?

17 – My Blackboard/Moodle grade center isn’t calculating my grades correctly. What should I do?

18 – How can I get training on the use of Panopto or WebEx?

19 – Where is the Copy Course option in Blackboard? Am I losing my mind?

20 – Is there a way that I can create a signup sheet in my Blackboard course?

21 – How and why do I clear my browser cache and delete the cookies?
————————————————————————————–

Q – Why are my new shells empty/blank and what do I do?

A – New semester shells are empty/blank to facilitate course copying. But instructions are provided on the eLearning blog on how to create a course menu or alternatively, how to import the standard navigation template into a new shell:
“All online curriculum courses are required to use the Standard Navigational Template and the standard template is recommended for all courses in order to promote a more consistent experience for students.

(1) If you already have course content from a previous semester (or a Master or Core course), you may copy it directly into your new shell. Instructions for copying courses and for updating the course menu can be found on the eLearning Blog (http://blogs.cpcc.edu/elearning)
(2) If you do not have a course from a previous semester, you can add the Navigational Template / Course Menu to your empty shell in one of two ways:

•  by manually adding each item to the menu or
    •  by downloading and importing the Navigational Template from the eLearning Blog (http://blogs.cpcc.edu/elearning).

Additional Information for Instructors can be found on the Timeline of LMS Activities and on the Faculty Checklist for Teaching eLearning Courses.”
Back to FAQ Menu

Q – Why don’t I see my students in my Blackboard/Moodle shell?

A – Students are activated in Blackboard/Moodle shells on the start date of the course.

Q – How do I make my Blackboard/Moodle course available to students?

A – Online, Hybrid and Teleweb courses (coded IN, HY, or TW in the COD) are made available to students automatically on the start date of the course (typically the first day of the semester for 16-week curriculum courses).
To make other types of courses available:
Within your Blackboard course, go to the Control Panel/Customization/Properties
Scroll down to Set Availability, click Yes, and click Submit.
Within your Moodle course, click Settings/Edit settings/Scroll down to availability/This course is available to students; click Submit.

Q – How can I email my students before the semester/my class begins?

A – Before the semester begins, you can use the Class Email List tool to mail all of your students.
Log into the CAW (Course Administrative Webtools area. Click on the Resources tab. Under Course Assistance, click on Class Email List Tool. Select your semester and fill in the three blanks. Click Find. Copy the email that is generated and paste it into the TO: field of a new email in your CPCC Outlook account.
Once the semester begins, you may email your students from within your Blackboard or Moodle course.
Back to FAQ Menu

Q – Why can’t I see my Semester Shell?

A – If the shells have been created, then the most likely reason is that the instructor hasn’t been added to the COD as instructor of record. Advise the faculty member to contact their division.

Q – How do I remove/hide old semester shells from my Blackboard Course listing?

A – It’s easy to refine your Course Listing to just those semester shells and masters that you want ready at hand.

Login to Blackboard at http://blackboard.cpcc.edu

This will take you to the My eLearning at CPCC page.

On the right hand side, you will see a My Courses block.
Hover your cursor anywhere in this block and look for the small gear icon in the header:

Clicking on the gear will take you to the Personalize: My Courses area.

Under Edit Course Listing/Courses you are teaching, you will see a listing of all of your Blackboard shells and masters that are on the active Blackboard server. Over time, the oldest shells will rotate off the server and be archived.

How to “Hide” Courses

Review the courses in your list and clear the boxes of any that you do not want to display on your My eLearning at CPCC page, e.g.,  click on an empty box to add a check mark; click on a check mark to clear that box (Hint: click on an image to enlarge; use back arrow to return to page):

How to change how courses display in your course listing

Every shell or master in Blackboard has both a Course Name (identifiable because it will include some spaces, e.g., 2015SP_ENG111_114: Writing and Inquiry ) and a Course ID (identifiable because it will have underscores but no spaces, e.g., 2015_SP_ENG_111_114).

You can choose to have your courses display the Course Name, the Course ID, or both, depending on which boxes you check to the right of the course:

The course above now displays like this on My eLearning at CPCC page:

Experiment to see which option you prefer. It is easy to change.

Be sure to click Submit at the top or bottom of the page to save your changes.

Q – How do I combine multiple sections of a course?

A – Go to the CPCC Home Page http://www.cpcc.edu
At the bottom of the page, click on Intranet.
In the left hand menu, click on Course Administrative Webtools (CAW).
Click on the Resources tab.
Fill in the Prefix and Course Number in the Course Combine form and click on Get Sections.
Your assigned sections of that course will display.
Click in the boxes for the sections that you wish to combine and click Submit.
Your combined shell will appear in Blackboard within four hours or overnight at the latest.

If your assigned sections do not display:

Check to make sure that you are the instructor of record in the COD.
For a Traditional (face to face) section, check to make sure that the Instructional Method Code is TR(WB).
For assistance, contact eLearning via the helpDesk at (704) 330-5000 or email dev@cpcc.edu

Q – I want to combine multiple sections of a course, but my sections aren’t appearing on the list in the CAW. What is the problem and what should I do?

A – The most likely reason is that the Instructional Method code for these sections needs to be changed to TR(WB). This can be checked using the COD Entry link in the CAW. If this is the case,  check with your division to have this changed. If it’s an emergency, contact eLearning via the HelpDesk and ask to have the code modified.
Another common reason, especially for part-time faculty, is that the instructor has not yet been assigned to one or more sections in the COD. Again, you should contact your division to check on this.

Q – How can I use Moodle instead of Blackboard for my course(s)?

A – This process is called “Moodleizing” your courses:

Go to the College Home Page http://www.cpcc.edu
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Intranet.
In the left hand menu, click on Course Administration Webtools (CAW).
You may be asked to login using your CPCC credentials.
Click on the Moodle tab.
Click on Request a shell.
Follow the instructions on the screen to identify the course(s) you want to Moodleize.

The Moodle shell(s) will be created within 1 – 2 business days.

Q – I want to Moodleize my course, but my course isn’t appearing when I click on Moodleize Your Course in the CAW. What is the problem and what should I do?

Another common reason, especially for part-time faculty, is that the instructor has not yet been assigned to one or more sections in the COD. Again, you should contact your division to check on this..
Back to FAQ Menu

Q – How can I help my students find my Moodle course(s) since they generally look in Blackboard first?

A – The solution is to add Announcements to the course menu in the companion Blackboard shell, so that the redirect link to your Moodle shell is visible when your students click on your course in Blackboard:

In the Blackboard shell, turn editing ON (upper right hand corner)
In the upper left hand corner, click on the large + sign and click on Tool Link:
tool link to add announcements to course menu

Once Announcements is added to the course menu, your students will see the redirect link to your Moodle shell:

announcement with redirect link to the Moodle shell

Do this at the beginning of every semester in the Blackboard shells for each of your Moodleized sections and your students will have no problem accessing their Moodle courses.

Q – How do I copy a Blackboard course?

A – To do a course copy, you must be an instructor in both the source and the destination courses. New semester shells are completely empty so there’s no need to delete anything:

Inside your source course (current semester) go to Control Panel/Packages & Utilities/Course Copy
Browse to your new empty semester shell and select it.
Click Select All.
Don’t click in any of the boxes that are unchecked.
Under File Attachments, the middle button “Copy links and copies of the Content” is the one you want; it’s checked by default.
Click Submit.

For more detailed instructions, go to Blackboard Tutorials

Q – I’m a Program/Discipline Chair or Division Director: how do I request to have a  Core Course or Division Master copied into multiple shells?

A – If the request is for 5 or more copies of the same course, the Chair/Director should submit the request through CAW or with an email to helpdesk@cpcc.edu. Be sure to include the source course ID and the course number and section numbers for the destination courses. If the request is for 4 or fewer sections of the same course, submit the request to eLearning Support (idev@cpcc.edu).
Back to FAQ Menu

Q -My course copy didn’t go through/has errors/has duplicated or triplicated content, etc. What should I do?

A – This requires assistance from eLearning. Contact elearning via the HelpDesk by calling (704) 330-5000 or email idev@cpcc.edu

Q – How do I provide extended test/quiz time in Blackboard for a student who has a reasonable accommodation from Disability Services?

A – Use the Test Availability Exceptions feature. Locate your test within your Blackboard course. Hover your cursor to the right of the test name and click on the down-arrow. Select Edit the Test Options from the menu. Scroll down to Test Availability Exceptions. Click on Add User or Group. Click on the box to the left of the student(s) that need the extended time and click Submit. For each student, adjust the Timer setting according to the accommodation requirements, e.g., time and a half. Click Submit.
More detailed instructions can be found at:  Blackboard Tutorials
Back to FAQ Menu

Q – My students can’t see/don’t have access to their grades in my Blackboard course? What should I do?

A – It is likely that the Grades tool needs to be added to the course menu.
Make sure that Editing is ON (upper right hand corner of the screen):
Click on the (+) sign (Top left of the Blackboard course, under the CPCC banner.)
From + context menu, choose Tool Link; type Grades. Click on the down arrow and choose the My Grades tool. Check the box Available to users, and click Submit.
Grades has been added to the bottom of the menu.

Q – My Blackboard/Moodle grade center isn’t calculating my grades correctly. What should I do?

A – This requires assistance from eLearning. Contact elearning via the HelpDesk by calling (704) 330-5000 or email idev@cpcc.edu

Q – How can I get training on the use of Panopto or WebEx?

A – Panopto and WebEx training is offered by eLearning throughout the semester. Check LearnerWeb for upcoming sessions: http://pd.cpcc.edu
Click on Schedule, then enter eLearning in the search box. Click GO.
Back to FAQ Menu

NEW Q – Where is the Copy Course option in Blackboard? Am I losing my mind?

A – No, you are likely not losing your mind. The Copy Course tool is always turned off for faculty during the first three days of every semester to prevent overloading the Blackboard servers. During this time period please submit your course copy requests to eLearnining via a Helpdesk request. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Q – Is there a way that I can create a sign-up sheet in my Blackboard course?

A – Yes, one way is to use a wiki:

In your Bb course (wherever you want the signup sheet) hover over Tools and select Wikis.
Tools-Wikis selection in a content area in Blackboard

Click on Create new wiki and name it “Signup for XXX” and Submit.

Click on the wiki, create a page, and name it “Signup Sheet”.
In the text editor click on the Create Table icon:

shows the select table icon in the web edotor for the wiki

Submit to save the wiki.

NOTE: let your students know that only one person at a time can access the wiki, so they should exit/submit the wiki as soon as they’ve selected their time slot to free it up for others to access.

Q – How and why do I clear my browser cache and delete the cookies?

The cache is a tool that a browser uses to display webpages faster. Most of the time this is helpful, but sometimes you are shown an older version of a website when a newer version is available. In a similar way, cookies are files placed on your computer by a website to help it “remember” your preferences, such as when a webpage displays “Welcome, Kim!” when you access the site. Again, mostly this is helpful, but not if your preferences have changed.

This website provides instructions for clearing/refreshing the cache and removing cookies  for all the major browsers.

It’s a good idea to regularly clear/refresh the cache and delete the cookies for all the browsers you use so that you are viewing the most current version of the webpages you visit and that these websites are using your current preferences.

Back to FAQ Menu

Created by L. Grann-Stahl December 15, 2015