Frequently Asked Questions

What is a North Carolina Early Childhood Credential?

Credentials are awarded by the NC Division of Child Development and Early Education, not CPCC.  Credentials allow students to become employed in certain positions in child care settings

There are two credentials offered, one for early childhood teachers and one for administrators

To earn the North Carolina Early Childhood Credential which is what is required to be a teacher in Child Care Center (“Credential” ….. sometimes students call it “Credentials” or “Credentials 1 and 2”), Students must  complete EDU 119: Introduction to Early Childhood with a passing grade of “C” or better

Credentials can be earned in two ways:

To earn the North Carolina Early Administration Credential Students must complete EDU 119 – Introduction to Early Childhood,  EDU 261 – Early Childhood Administration I and Early Childhood Administration II

Other Credential Info

  • Transcripts must be submitted to the DCDEE for equivalency credit (for courses taken in other states, for example).

Equivalencies for credentials do not equal college credit at CPCC—official transcripts must be submitted to the college for evaluation.

  • EDU 119 IS a state mandated pre-requisite for EDU 261.  Equivalency from the state does not meet the co-requisite.  261 must be completed before enrolling in 262.

See for applications.


What Early Childhood Certificates are offered?

Certificates are awarded by the college, and require ~17 hours of specific coursework.  Students confuse the words “certificates” with “credentials.”  See

Certification is awarded by the state at different levels.  There is a fee for applying, and licensure requires that teachers become certified.  NCICDP (“The Institute”) handles this. For information, send students to


Want to Enroll at CPCC?

Prior to enrollment in any course at CPCC students must complete the placement tests OR (if graduated from HS within 5 years) meet high-school course requirements/GPA. Students must also attend a college orientation. Send them to and the “Get Started” link.  They will sort out the placement test needs.  If the student has completed college-level ENG at another institution, they may submit a transcript in lieu of the placement test.

Regardless of placement test scores, any student may enroll in EDU 119.  Students must complete DRE 096 or place higher to enroll in 100-level EDU classes

For other 100-level EDU courses, students must complete OR score out of OR enroll concurrently in DRE 097.