Staff Spotlight: Lindsey McDonald, Senior Intrepreter

Introduction written by Laurie Jachym

This week’s staff spotlight is on Lindsey McDonald. Lindsey is a Senior Interpreter for Interpreting Services at CPCC. She works with students in all areas of the college to provide Interpreting Services. Most days she is out traveling across the campuses to work with students, but we enjoy the times when Lindsey is in Disability Services. She has a fun-loving personality and adventurous spirit that she brings to the office. Here’s a Q&A with Lindsey to get to know her better!

Lindsey in NYC

Q: How long have you worked at CPCC?
A: I have worked part-time at CPCC since the Fall of 2006, but have been full-time since Fall 2010.

Q: What other professional jobs have you held in the past?
A: I have been an interpreter for the deaf since I graduated college.  The first three years after graduation I worked full time at a middle school and was the staff interpreter for one student.  Before that, I worked several retail jobs.

Q: What is your area/what are your areas of expertise?
A: My area of expertise is English and Reading classes. I am a stickler for grammar so I am often being asked to help make flyers, check emails, etc. I also enjoy working with newer interpreters, including the co-op students in the Interpreter Education program to help build their skills and confidence levels.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your job at CPCC?
A: I enjoy the teamwork between the other interpreters and learning a little bit about a lot in the variety of classes we have.

Q: What are some of your favorite things to do outside of work?
A: I enjoy going to the mountains as often as possible, camping with family and friends, and playing ball with my crazy dog.

Q: What do you want others to know about you?
A: I can be quiet at times, but I love getting out, traveling and meeting new people!