Staff Spotlight: Kayla Earley, Lab Facilitator

Kayla with poster presentation

Introduction written by Laurie Jachym

Kayla Earley is another new addition to the Disability Services team. She joins the Disability Services Testing Center staff at Central campus as an Instructional Lab Facilitator. She works with students who attend classes at Central, Levine, and Harris campuses to provide testing accommodations and assistive technology services.

Here is a little Q & A with Kayla to help you get to know her better.

Q: How long have you worked at Central Piedmont Community College?
A: A very short time, only since March 2015!

Q: What other professional jobs have you held in the past?
A: I worked for 2 years with Lenoir-Rhyne University’s Support Services for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Students, 1 year as Bindery Supervisor at Carl A. Rudisill Library, and 1 year interning as an HIV Tester/Counselor with the ALFA.

Q: What is your area/what are your areas of expertise?
A: My Bachelors of Science is in Community Health from Lenoir-Rhyne University, and I am enrolled to begin my Master of Arts in Anthropology at UNCC this year. I have experience in research, program planning, and captioning.

Q: Can you tell us more about your picture?
A: Sure, that poster is from my Senior Honors Thesis. I was presenting an evaluation of the Council on Adolescent’s Lunch Buddy Program, which is a mentoring program for middle school students in Catawba County.

Q: What do you enjoy most about your job at Central Piedmont Community College?
A: I enjoy meeting new students and observing how they learn and recall test material.

Q: What are some of your favorite things to do outside of work?
A: Outside of work I enjoy reading historical fiction, visiting museums, and going to the zoo with my mom.

Q: What do you want others to know about you?
A: If I wrote an autobiography, the title would be, “I can’t help it; I’m a nerd.”

Please help us welcome Kayla to the college and to Disability Services. She is a wonderful new addition to our team.