North Carolina Association on Higher Education and Disability (NC AHEAD) is offering 3 scholarships, which are $500 each for 2017. You must be registered with Disability Services and working with a Disability Counselor in order to apply for the scholarship.
Here is more information about the eligibility criteria from NC AHEAD:
A total of three *scholarships ($500 each) are available—one scholarship will be awarded in each of the following categories:
- an *undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor’s Degree at a private college or university in North Carolina
- “The Jim Kessler Scholarship” an *undergraduate student enrolled in a program leading to a Bachelor’s Degree at a public college or university in North Carolina
- a student enrolled in degree or certificate program at a 2-year/community college in North Carolina
*Please note students are only considered eligible if they are seeking a 2 year degree OR their first bachelor’s degree. Second bachelor degree seeking students are not eligible to receive this award.
Criteria for these scholarships include:
- Applicant MUST be an undergraduate student with a disability registered with the disability services office on your campus.
- Disability Services Provider at your institution MUST be a member of NC AHEAD for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Applicants are evaluated based on: a) leadership and service to campus and/or community, b) academic achievement, c) well-articulated goals
- Applicants must have at least a 2.5 GPA
(An unofficial transcript is required that verifies the cumulative GPA from the current institution from beginning of matriculation to the Spring 2017 semester)
The applicants must submit a complete package including the following:
- Completed Scholarship Application (page 3)
- Copy of unofficial transcript
- Two letters of recommendation (one from faculty at College/University and one from another professional from the college/university)
- One-Two page personal essay including the following:
- Leadership and service to campus or community
- Academic achievement
- Career goals/aspirations
The deadline for the completed scholarship application (including all required documents) is Monday, February 13, 2017 at 5p.m. Scholarships packets are to be submitted to Georgieann Bogdan, Awards, Scholarships and Grants Committee Chair at email@example.com or fax to 336-271-6634 by the deadline to be considered for the award. The 2017 Student Scholarship recipients will be announced at the NC AHEAD Spring Conference.
*Please note: The NC AHEAD Scholarship will be applied directly to the recipient’s tuition and will not be made available to be applied to books, living and/or other personal expenses.