NEW Accommodation Form Procedure Starting NOW for Fall 2016!

As of August 1, 2016 we are using a NEW version of the accommodation form. Now Instructors are asked to initial and date the forms to document when they were received. Please read below for more detailed instructions of the new procedure.

NEW Accommodation Form Procedure for the Fall 2016 Semester

  • Students must request their accommodation forms from their Disability Counselor each semester.
  • The student and the Disability Counselor sign all the forms.
  • Student delivers the forms to his/her Instructor(s).
  • The Instructor initials and dates the Instructor’s Copy and the Student’s Copy to verify when the form was received and that the accommodations were discussed with the student.
  • Once the Instructor receives and initials the forms, then the accommodations are considered active for that semester.
  • Instructor keeps the Instructor’s Copy.
  • Student keeps the Student’s Copy.
  • The student is also responsible for delivering a copy to the appropriate Testing Center if they are using it as an accommodation.
  • For online classes: Student will email the Instructor the accommodation forms, both the Student’s Copy and the Instructor’s Copy. Instructors are responsible for initialing both copies and returning the Student’s Copy to the student via email. Instructor keeps the Instructor’s Copy.

Additional things to know about accommodations:

  • Even if a student is approved to use accommodations, the student has the CHOICE whether or not they want to use the accommodations at any time.
  • Accommodations may not always apply, even if they are approved by Disability Services. In most cases they will apply, as along as the accommodation is reasonable for the class. If an instructor believes an accommodation is not reasonable for the class, the instructor should contact the Disability Counselor to discuss the concerns.
  • If a student requests to use an accommodation in class and they do not present an accommodation form to you, you are not required to accommodate the student. In that case, please refer the student to Disability Services.

If you have questions about the student’s accommodations or the process in general, please contact the Disability Counselor assigned to the student, which is indicated at the top of the accommodation form.

Are you a faculty or staff member who wants to learn more about Disability Services and your role in working with students with disabilities? Take our online training in Learner Web for PD credit! Available 24/7! Visit our website to take the course!


Need your accommodations for spring 2016 classes? Contact your Disability Counselor as soon as you are registered!

It is open enrollment for the spring 2016 semester and it is time to register! Check your CPCC student account online to find out your registration date and register as soon as possible.

If you are registered with Disability Services for accommodations, contact your Disability Counselor as soon as you are registered for classes. Students who are registered with Disability Services should follow the Steps for Students Who Have a Disability Counselor on our website. We can complete your accommodation forms before the new semester starts. Get ahead of the game by getting your forms done early! Contact your Disability Counselor today!

If you are a student who would like to make your first request for academic accommodations at CPCC, please follow our process and procedures to request accommodations that is posted on our website or visit us on campus. We have two main office locations at the Central and Levine campuses, but we can meet with students at any of the satellite campuses. New requests can be submitted at any time. Please contact us if you have any questions or visit our website for more information:

Good luck as you finish the fall semester! We look forward to working with in spring 2016!

Planning to attend CPCC in the fall and need accommodations? Directions for new students to request accommodations from CPCC Disability Services.

If you are a new CPCC student and have not made a request for accommodations at CPCC in the past, here are directions for requesting academic accommodations:

1. Self-identify and submit documentation: You must submit your documentation of your disability to Disability Services by one of the following ways:

(Not sure what to submit as documentation? Read our Process and Procedures starting on page 2 to learn more.)

 CPCC Disability Services
Central Campus, Terrell Room 219
P.O. Box 35009
Charlotte, NC 28235
In person: Central Campus, Terrell Room 219 or Levine Campus Room 2223

2. Complete a Student Intake Form: This will be used during your first meeting with a Disability Counselor. It can be submitted prior to the appointment or at the time of the appointment. The form can be found on our website by clicking here or by visiting Disability Services on campus.

3. Student will be contacted by a Disability Counselor: Accommodation requests will be discussed during the initial meeting between the student and the Disability Counselor.

Click here to read more about our process and procedures

Please note, the process of being approved for accommodations can take a minimum of 1-2 weeks. Submitting your documentation in a timely manner is strongly suggested in order for accommodation requests to be reviewed and arrangements be made once a student is approved for accommodations.

For more information please visit the Disability Services website.

Are you taking summer classes and need accommodations? Let us know!

Summer 2014 semester starts May 21st

If you want to use your approved academic accommodations for the summer semester, please contact your Disability Counselor to receive your accommodation forms once you have registered for classes. Here is more information about how to receive your accommodation forms from your Disability Counselor:

Patricia Adams
Levine Campus, covers Harper campus
704-330-2722 ext 7279
Email counselor in advance to pick up accommodation forms.

Rachel Megahan
Central Campus, covers Merancas and Cato campuses
Call or email for an appointment. Walk-ins accepted when available.

Sally Herlong
Central Campus
704-330-2722 EXT 3461
Call or email for an appointment. Can meet by appointment only.

Laurie Jachym
Central Campus, covers Harris campus every 4th Thursday of the month
704-330-2722 EXT 3468
Call or email for an appointment. Walk-ins accepted when available.

If you wish to receive accommodations and have not been approved by Disability Services yet, please submit your documentation to our office. Click here for a link to our Documentation Requirements handout, which includes information of our process of how to register with Disability Services for accommodations and details about what documentation we will accept.

Still have questions? Call us or walk-in to our office! 704-330-6621We are located on Central Campus in Terrell 219.

Summer office hours for May 12-July 18:

Monday-Thursday 7:30am-6:00pm

**Campus is closed Friday, Saturday and Sunday during this time frame and will return to the regular campus schedule starting July 21.**

We look forward to working with you this summer! If you are taking the summer off, we wish you a relaxing and enjoyable break! Contact us when you return!

It’s time to register for the summer and fall 2014 semesters! Information for students registered with Disability Services.

CPCC priority registration summer and fall 2014
CPCC priority registration summer and fall 2014
Are you planning to take classes this summer and/or fall? Then it’s time to prepare to register! You should have already received an email from CPCC with details about when you can register for classes. Here are some important dates to remember!
Priority registration period is April 25-May 4
Open registration begins May 5th
Registration for summer classes ends on May 20th
Registration for fall classes ends August 17th
Classes fill up FAST so make sure to register as soon as possible!
Students who are registered with Disability Services are encouraged to first meet with an Academic Advisor to receive advisement on their courses. Then, students should also meet with their Disability Counselor. Disability Counselors are not Academic Advisors, but they can make suggestions regarding a student’s courseload, scheduling, and to give the student feedback on course selections. Disability Counselors can also discuss with students how their accommodations may or may not apply to each of their classes.
To meet with your Disability Counselor, please contact them directly by phone or email, or you can contact our main office as a walk-in or by phone.
Disability Services office number 704-330-6621
Central Campus Terrell room 219
Levine Campus room 2223
Please let us know how we can help you as you prepare for your next semester at CPCC!

Don’t forget to schedule your Disability Services testing center accommodation for final exams!

Final exams are approaching!

Students who receive the Disability Services testing center accommodation must remember to schedule their final exam in advance with our lab facilitator, Alysia Leak.

Alysia can be reached by phone or email:

704-330-2722 EXT 3462

Check your syllabus and/or clarify with your instructor in advance to determine the date of your final exam. Do it soon so you won’t have to worry about it during finals. Then you can give all your focus and attention to studying!

It’s also important to remind your instructor(s) that you want to use your testing accommodation(s) in advance when tests and quizzes are approaching.

If you need help with your accommodations or have questions for your Disability Counselor, give them a call, send an email, or you can walk-in to our office. Our main number is 704-330-6621 and our office is open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm.

Good luck with the rest of the spring semester!

Disability Services FAQ’S for Faculty

Are you a faculty member and you’re not sure what to do about issues related to Disability Services? You’re not alone! Here are some frequently asked questions from faculty regarding students with disabilities in the classroom.

Q. I suspect that a student in my class may have a disability. I have not received accommodation forms from Disability Services. How do I make a referral for this student?
A. First and foremost, do nothing for such a student that you would not do for any other student in your class, unless and until you receive a Disability Services Accommodations Form from the student that specifies appropriate accommodations. Disclosing a disability can be difficult for some students. The instructor can meet with the student and discuss the academic difficulties s/he has noticed and suggest all of the various on-campus resources that may assist the student, including Disability Services. Asking a student directly if they have a disability, even if it seems obvious, is not appropriate. The most proactive approach is to ensure that a disability statement is included on your syllabus indicating that if a student has a disability s/he should contact Disability Services. Students are responsible for self-disclosing their disability to Disability Services if requesting accommodations. A sample statement can be provided upon request.

Q. I have a student in my class who claims to have a disability and has requested accommodations. I have not received any official paperwork documenting the need to accommodate the student from Disability Services. Do I need to accommodate the student?
A. As stated above, without official notification from Disability Services, you should not accommodate the student. Since the student has self-disclosed his/her disability to you, it is appropriate then to ask the student if s/he is registered with Disability Services. If s/he is not, refer him/her to Disability Services to request accommodations. Even if the student claims to already be registered, s/he must present you with his/her Accommodation Form; refer him/her to meet with his/her assigned Disability Counselor to obtain an Accommodation Form for the class. Students are responsible for requesting their Accommodation Forms each semester they attend classes at the College.

Q. Should faculty evaluate students with disabilities any differently than they do the rest of the class?
A. All students, including those with disabilities, should be evaluated at the same level. The recommended accommodations are not in place to give students an advantage. Accommodations are designed to level the playing field and compensate for any barriers to the academic setting that a student with a disability may encounter.

Still have questions?? Call, email, or come by our office and we can help answer them!
Central Campus Terrell Room 219
Levine Campus Room 2223