As of August 1, 2016 we are using a NEW version of the accommodation form. Now Instructors are asked to initial and date the forms to document when they were received. Please read below for more detailed instructions of the new procedure.
NEW Accommodation Form Procedure for the Fall 2016 Semester
- Students must request their accommodation forms from their Disability Counselor each semester.
- The student and the Disability Counselor sign all the forms.
- Student delivers the forms to his/her Instructor(s).
- The Instructor initials and dates the Instructor’s Copy and the Student’s Copy to verify when the form was received and that the accommodations were discussed with the student.
- Once the Instructor receives and initials the forms, then the accommodations are considered active for that semester.
- Instructor keeps the Instructor’s Copy.
- Student keeps the Student’s Copy.
- The student is also responsible for delivering a copy to the appropriate Testing Center if they are using it as an accommodation.
- For online classes: Student will email the Instructor the accommodation forms, both the Student’s Copy and the Instructor’s Copy. Instructors are responsible for initialing both copies and returning the Student’s Copy to the student via email. Instructor keeps the Instructor’s Copy.
Additional things to know about accommodations:
- Even if a student is approved to use accommodations, the student has the CHOICE whether or not they want to use the accommodations at any time.
- Accommodations may not always apply, even if they are approved by Disability Services. In most cases they will apply, as along as the accommodation is reasonable for the class. If an instructor believes an accommodation is not reasonable for the class, the instructor should contact the Disability Counselor to discuss the concerns.
- If a student requests to use an accommodation in class and they do not present an accommodation form to you, you are not required to accommodate the student. In that case, please refer the student to Disability Services.
If you have questions about the student’s accommodations or the process in general, please contact the Disability Counselor assigned to the student, which is indicated at the top of the accommodation form.
Are you a faculty or staff member who wants to learn more about Disability Services and your role in working with students with disabilities? Take our online training in Learner Web for PD credit! Available 24/7! Visit our website to take the course! https://www.cpcc.edu/disabilities/faculty-resources