Mark your calendar for Thursday March 5, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m for the CPCC Career Fair. More than 95 companies will be at the Grady Cole Center to discuss full-time, part-time and internship opportunities.
What should you be doing now to get ready for next month’s job searching event?
Have your resume reviewed by a career counselor. You have three options for doing so:
Get your professional attire ready.
- Professional dress is required for admission to the event.
- Dress to impress the employers.
- Visit the Career Services Pinterest board for tips on what to wear.
Research companies attending the career fair.
Be sure to visit the Career Services career fair tips page for additional resources.
CPCC students should plan to attend the CPCC Career Fair, being held tomorrow (March 6) from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at the Grady Cole Center. If you are looking for a full-time or part-time job, this is a great opportunity to get face-to-face time with employers who are actively hiring. Check the CPCC Career Services Career Fair Employer Page to see which companies are attending. Over 95 employers from a variety of industries will be on site!
Here’s a checklist to review tonight before attending tomorrow’s career fair:
- • Review February posts from the CPCC Career Services blog. Last month we offered weekly posts on Career Fair items. From resume tips to how to dress professionally, many of your questions can be answered here.
- • Assemble your professional dress now. Make sure clothes are pressed and accessories are chosen wisely. Don’t forget a tote or professional bag (if possible, no backpacks) to carry resumes and gather employer information.
- • Practice your elevator speech. Rehearse your elevator speech in front of a mirror, friends or family. You want employers to know you’re confident and knowledgeable about your skills and qualifications as they relate to the job. Practice a firm handshake, too!
- • Research employers you plan to meet with. Use the Career Fair Employer Page to identify which employers you plan to speak with at the event. Use the companies’ websites and social media presence (Facebook pages, LinkedIn profiles, Twitter handles) to learn about the companies and prepare questions to ask.
Some items to know for the day of the event:
• Arrive early. Parking fills up quickly and lines get long.
• Bring your CPCC Student ID. Doing so gives you access to the VIP entrance and avoid longer lines. *Note: Veterans who bring their DD-214 papers will also be admitted through the VIP entrance
• Check the weather. You may be standing outside in the early morning hours. Dress accordingly.
• Plan your transportation. Parking in the Student Decks will be available (no permit required), or plan your bus route.
• Arrange for childcare. Job applicants who bring children to the career fair will not be admitted to the event.
• Bring a snack. Pack a small bottle of water and a snack to keep your energy up throughout the day.
• Have multiple copies of your resume. Estimate how many employers you’ll be speaking to, but bring a few additional copies just in case.