In light of the tragic violence and student death that occurred earlier this week at Butler High School, the college reminds all students and employees that we are truly a community, and we need to watch out for each other to make our campuses as safe as they can be.
Please remember, if you see or hear something that causes you concern or just doesn’t seem quite right, please alert College Security Services as soon as you can. All reports will be taken seriously and investigated thoroughly.
If you ever feel unsafe for any reason and would like the presence of Security Services staff member, please don’t hesitate to call 704-330-6632, or for emergencies 704-330-6911.
Working together, we can keep our college safe and secure.
In response to the two recent student pedestrian incidents at crosswalks on Elizabeth Avenue, the college has taken the following actions:
- A law enforcement patrol will be parked along Elizabeth Avenue with flashing blue lights on class days from 7-9:30 a.m., noon to 2 p.m., and 5 to 9 p.m. These times will be adjusted to match any changes in pedestrian traffic.
- The college has contacted Charlotte DOT with the request to repaint all Central Campus crosswalks in a color more noticeable and reflective than white.
- The college and CMPD have requested that permanent flashing lights be installed at the crosswalks on Elizabeth Avenue. These would be similar to the crosswalk lights at Harper Campus.
- Campus Security Directors, Student Government Officers, CMPD and Mecklenburg Sheriff Deputies, and Allied Universal Police Officers are kindly reminding students and employees to always use the crosswalks and to always be alert for oncoming vehicles when crossing the street.
Welcome to the fall semester! Campus safety is the top priority of CPCC’s College Security team and Emergency Management team.
We want to take this opportunity to remind you of the information available on CPCC’s website about What To Do In An Emergency, for situations including an active shooter, severe weather, fire and more.
If there’s an active shooter on or near a CPCC campus, would you know what to do? It’s incredibly important for employees and students to be prepared. Please take a moment today to watch this powerful video to learn about the “Run. Hide. Fight.” concept to help you know what to do if an active shooter is on campus or in a building where you are located.
Most importantly, CPCC relies on its students and employees to be the eyes and ears of the college, so if you see something, say something. If you have a concern of an immediate threat, please call CPCC College Security Services at 704.330.6911.
If you know of behavior that is concerning or disruptive to the college community, please use the online form at this site to report a concern for referral to the Care Team, which is a cross-unit group whose members consist of college staff from Student Services, College Security Services, Counseling, Human Resources and the Learning Unit.
Here are multiple ways to contact College Security if you have additional concerns:
Contact College Security Services:
Start your message with “CPCCTIP”
- Recorded Message Line
Fall into Safety Day
October 25, 2017
CPCC Central Campus, Overcash lawn
11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Learn about the many ways CPCC offers security and safety to the college community. Students are welcome to stop by and learn more from CPCC College Security Services and the various community agencies listed below.
- CharMeck Emergency Management
- CharMeck Police Department
- Huntersville Police Department
- Mecklenburg County ABC Board
- Mecklenburg County Sheriff
- Safe Alliance
- Safety and Health Council of NC
- CPCC Security
- CPCC Health Sciences