The CityLYNX Gold Line provides a direct link to the heart of Uptown, connecting you to bus and light rail services, healthcare facilities, entertainment and small businesses. The CityLYNX Gold Line is a free service, so you do not need a ticket to ride. In order to keep the Gold Line safe and enjoyable for everyone, please remember the following:
• Park only in designated spaces. Even if just for a few minutes, do not park your car on Elizabeth Avenue if there is not an official parking space.
• Your entire vehicle, including mirrors, must be within the solid white parking lines. Incorrectly parked cars will be subject to a citation and towing.
• Cross only at designated crosswalks. There are clearly marked signs showing you safe areas to cross the street. If you see the streetcar coming, wait for it to pass before you cross.
• Stay Alert. Look up from your phone. Take out your ear buds or turn the volume down. Remember, safety starts with you.
• Cyclists should cross the tracks at a 90 degree angle to avoid getting wheels stuck or crashing.
For more information, please visit www.ridetransit.org
CATS is now testing for the new CityLYNX Gold Line. Your safety is our #1 priority. Use the information below or watch the City of Charlotte’s online safety podcast
(and earn a FREE T-shirt!) to stay safe on and around the streetcar system.
Look, Listen and Live!
- Streetcars run in the same travel lanes as other vehicles. Listen for whistles, bells or horns.
- It is ok to drive on the streetcar tracks. Stay alert!
- Streetcars cannot stop as quickly as you can. Streetcars traveling at 16 mph take almost 100 feet to stop.
- Streetcars cannot swerve out of the way of pedestrians, cyclists or vehicles. It is your responsibility to stay out of the streetcar’s path.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals. They are there for your safety, not as an inconvenience.
- Cross only at designated crosswalks. There are clearly marked signs showing you safe areas to cross the street.
- Do not cross the street in front of a streetcar. Even if the streetcar is stopped. Wait for the streetcar to pass before you cross.
- Safety starts with YOU! Report all suspicious packages, activities, and/or persons on the streetcar.
Tips for Drivers:
Park your entire vehicle within the solid white parking lines. Incorrectly parked cars will be subject to a citation and towing.
Look for streetcars before making a right turn at a red light. Streetcars are quiet and you may not hear them coming.
Do not attempt to pass a streetcar. The streetcar may block your line of sight. Be alert for people entering and exiting the streetcar at all times
- Follow the streetcar at a safe distance. Be prepared to stop.
- Do not make a turn from the adjacent lane or center lane in front of the streetcar.
Tips for Cyclists:
Cross tracks at a right angle or walk your bike across. Cyclists are more likely to get their wheels stuck or crash when crossing the tracks at an angle of less than 90 degrees.
- Wet tracks can be slippery. Take caution. Sometimes it’s safer to walk your bike across.
Use the green bike boxes to make left hand turns. Never enter an intersection against the traffic signals.
Be aware of the door zone. This is the space occupied by an open door between moving vehicles and parked cars.
- Never stop on the tracks.
* A limited number of T-shirts are available, so watch the podcast today to ensure you receive yours.
Improvements continue to be made to the CityLYNX Gold Line, the City of Charlotte’s street car project. Construction crews have energized the overhead catenary system, which provides electricity to power the streetcar through a pantograph at the top of the railcar.
While power will be supplied overhead to the streetcar, the rails in the street will not be energized. Citizens can continue to drive, walk and bike across the city’s streets as normal.
The CityLYNX Gold Line is scheduled to begin passenger service by summer 2015.