We hope you’re off to a great start with the new semester! We want you to know campus safety is the top priority of Central Piedmont’s College Security Services team and Emergency Management staff.
Thank you for taking part in Wednesday’s classroom phone paging system test. We will periodically test our emergency communication channels as part of our preparations for potential emergency situations.
We take this opportunity to remind you of the information available on the college’s website about What To Do In An Emergency, for situations including an active shooter, severe weather, fire, and more. The college has a short, safety video we want you to watch now about what to do in those kinds of emergencies.
If there’s an active shooter on or near a Central Piedmont campus, would you know what to do? It’s incredibly important for employees and students to be prepared. Please also take a moment today to watch this powerful video to learn more about the “Run. Hide. Fight.” concept to help you know what to do if an active shooter is on campus or in a building where you are located. If a campus goes on lockdown, you should immediately find a way to secure yourself, whether that means run, hide, or fight. Here’s more information:
- If you are outside or feel that it is safe to do so, exit the area and move away from danger to take protective cover.
- If you are in a building and/or unsure of the location of the shooter, find the nearest classroom or safe area to securely hide.
- Close and lock the door, close the blinds, find a spot in the room to hide away from the windows and doors, and remain quiet and calm.
- If the door does not lock, use items from the room to attempt to barricade the door or hide behind.
- DO NOT answer the door for anyone except first responders.
- This is a last resort. If you come into direct contact with the shooter, use the means at your disposal to fight and attempt to stop the individual.
The college relies on its students and employees to be the eyes and ears of the college, so if you see something, say something. Please program the Central Piedmont College Security Services phone number, 704.330.6911, into your mobile phone and call if there’s ever a concern of an immediate threat. If you know of behavior that is concerning or disruptive to the college community, please learn more about counseling service referrals or how to submit a report to the Care Team, which is a cross-unit group whose members consist of college staff from Student Services, College Security Services, Counseling, Human Resources, and Academic Affairs. Here are multiple ways to contact College Security if you have additional concerns:
Contact College Security Services:
- Emergency 704.330.6911
- Non-Emergency 704.330.6632
- Text-2-Tip Text to 67283: Start your message with “CPCCTIP” and provide your security concern/tip