Tiffany Wah, a student in CPCC’s Paralegal Technology program, recently received third place honors in the North Carolina Paralegal Association Student Scholarship Essay Contest. Her essay, “Why I have chosen to become a Tiffany Wahparalegal,” earned her a $200 check, payable to CPCC’s Paralegal Technology program, and a free registration to the Association’s annual meeting and seminar.

Tiffany re-entered CPCC’s Paralegal Technology program in summer 2015 after taking a six-year hiatus because of family responsibilities. While she spent much of that time away from the classroom serving as a mother and wife, the call to help and serve others remained strong.

“I have a reputation for not only being helpful, but also being helpful with a good attitude,” said Tiffany. “I believe that my willingness to assist others has always made me feel most at home as a paralegal.”

While paralegals are trained in a variety of legal matters and work closely with attorneys, assisting with cases, they must also be empathetic to clients, possess a strong understanding of the law and communicate well with others – all traits Tiffany embodies.

“It’s important to me, both in my personal life and at work, that I get the point across without any misunderstandings,” said Tiffany. “Paralegals are expected to deal with people from every background imaginable. I do this daily through my work at the local women’s shelter where I provide assistance to women struggling with mental illness, drug addiction and other challenges. I’m thrilled that I’ve chosen a career that is so rewarding and gives me an opportunity to give back each day.”

Assisting Tiffany on her journey toward becoming a paralegal are her many instructors at CPCC who “exemplify a great sense of compassion, kindness and a desire for their students to learn,” says Tiffany.

“I would definitely recommend CPCC’s Paralegal Technology to others,” adds Tiffany. “It’s well-organized, approved by the American Bar Association and prepares students well for the legal field.”

Tiffany is enjoying discovering the many aspects of the law during class and is hopeful for the future. “I’m excited to gain more skills, insight and experience as a paralegal,” says Tiffany. “My hope is to one day work at either a criminal or family law firm – two areas that are my greatest passions.”

To learn more about CPCC’s Paralegal Technology program, visit cpcc.edu/paralegal.