The colors of the flag are yellow for the diversity in the country, blue for the sky and the sea, and red for the blood of those who fought for independence.
Did you know?
- Ecuador exports 4.5 million tons of bananas a year.
- The Ecuadorian tradition is that in the New Year, they make dummy that is stuffed with old clothing and then is burned to celebrate the ending of the old year and the coming of the New Year. The main ethnic groups in Ecuador include Mestizo, Amerindian, Spanish and Blacks.
- The term Ecuador means equator in Spanish. The country has been named after equator, which passes through it.
- Ecuador was a part of the Inca Empire, before the arrival of the Spanish, in 1534.
- Novenas, or house tours, begin the Christmas season nine days before Christmas. Ecuadorians visit other homes at this time looking at the nativity scenes. A special cookie, made with maple syrup, is eaten as a treat.