As the 2012 fall semester approaches its conclusion, here are some safety tips to remember while on campus and as you’re out and about during the holiday season.
Typically, crimes such as robberies, burglaries and thefts increase slightly during the holiday season. Please take extra care to safeguard your property, lock your vehicles and/or office when you’re away.
- Take items of value with you. Don’t leave your keys or purses in plain view. Put valuable items in a locked drawer or locked in the trunk of your vehicle.
- Take your laptop! Don’t leave your laptop computer or electronic devices unattended and unsecured in your office or lab at any time.
- When walking during the evening hours be aware of your surroundings and only walk in well-lit and populated areas.
- Do not to walk alone at night. Use the Central Piedmont Community College Escorts or call for a Security escort orSafe Ride during the day/evening hours by dialing 704.330.6632.
- Don’t display cash while on the street, and be aware of your environment at all times.
- Travel smart! Make your travel arrangements responsibly and inform your family of your plans.
WHILE YOU ARE SHOPPING:
1. Stay alert and be aware of what is going on around you.
2. Deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers by not overburdening yourself with packages. You cannot be aware of your surroundings when your bags are blocking your view and slowing you down. Dress comfortably and casually. Be extra careful with purses and wallets. Carry a purse close to your body, not dangling by the straps. Put a wallet in an inside coat or front pants pocket.
3. Never leave your purse in a shopping cart or on a counter while you pay for your purchases. When using public restrooms, use extreme caution and try to avoid putting your purse on hooks or door handles.
4. Never carry large amounts of money. Whenever possible, use credit cards or checks instead of cash.
5. Park in a well-lit space. Be sure to lock the car and close the windows. Hide shopping bag and gifts in the trunk.
6. When returning to your auto or home, have your keys in your hand and ready to open the door.
7. Before entering your vehicle, carefully check the front and rear seats and floors for anyone could be
hiding. Always lock your doors immediately after entering the vehicle.
8. Try to shop with friends or relatives, as there is safety in numbers.
9. Shopping with kids? Teach them to go to a store clerk or security guard if you get separated.
In addition to taking these safety measures to protect yourself and your property, you can assist the College in maintaining a safe campus environment by reporting suspicious activity to the Central Piedmont Community College Security Department at 704.330.6632, or in an emergency, 704.330.6911.