Candidates for College Senate President-elect

College Senate President  2020-2021

College Senate has two candidates for President-elect.

The College Senate President represents the faculty and professional staff on numerous committees, college functions and deliberations.

The successful candidate will serve as president-elect during Jennifer Perkins’s presidency in 2019-20, and then as president during the 2020-21 academic year.

Faculty and professional staff are invited to attend a candidate forum held during the College Senate meeting on April 16, 2:30 pm at the Central Campus Heath Sciences Building, Room 4510.

Voting will commence on April 22 and end on April 28.

Here are the candidates (in alphabetical order, by last name):

Donald Michael

Don Michael Jr., B.F.A, M.F.A.

Candidate Video

Bio:
Education: Masters of Fine Arts, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin, Bachelor’s of Fine Arts, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa, Adult Vocational Education Certification, University of Connecticut, Hamden, Connecticut (partial course work)

Past Teaching Certifications: Connecticut Teacher Certification and North Carolina Teacher Certification, Graphic Communication (both expired)

Department:  Senior Program Coordinator, ITS Learning Technology Services

Current Committees and Campus Services: Open Educational Resources, NC Multiple Pathways to High School Equivalency, College Senate Student Welfare and Professional Development committees, ManUp and NSF STEM Alliance mentor.

Michael  Statement: In my six years at Central Piedmont I have gathered a deep understanding of our academic culture and how its policies, in practice, affect the lives of the college community. During this time, my contributions have been focused on making a difference in the education of students who struggle financially, just as I struggled as an undergrad. My previous work as a teacher and an assistant professor was rewarding but I became frustrated with the disconnected academic policy created by disconnected administrators at those institutions. After teaching for several years and creating successful programs at various schools, I decided that I would bring my experience to the administrative side of education to influence the decisions made at that level.

It has become my mission to share my experiences and knowledge to help make connected and relevant decisions for our students and the college community as a whole. The current College Senate administration has done incredible work! I would like to continue their work by helping faculty and staff prepare for CPCC Cloud in 2021 as learning tools become virtual and accessible from anywhere. My goal is to help College Senate offer support for innovative learning environments and creative teaching that recognizes and rewards instructors for all they do for our students each and every day. Finally, with your vote, I hope to insure that faculty and staff are provided a safe and open space for communication with administration so their voice is heard. I hope I can count on your support. It would be a privilege and an honor to serve as the next Central Piedmont College Senate President.​

Owen Sutkowski

Owen Sutkowski

Candidate Video

Bio:
This is my 9th academic year at CPCC. I came to CPCC in 2010 to work with the Transfer Resource Center, and as an adjunct faculty member in the Communication discipline. In 2012 i started working with Career Services. In 2016 I joined the Communication faculty full-time. My committee has included: Retention Committee, NC Scholars of Global Distinction Advisory Board, Technology Integration Learning Community, College Senate Faculty Welfare Committee and Faculty Titles Committee, and the General Education Foundation Council. I have also been a learning partner for new faculty in the faculty onboarding process, and delivered several professional development sessions for faculty and staff.

Sutkowski Statement: It would be an honor to serve faculty and staff as college senate president. Almost nine years of collaborating with students, faculty and staff in both student services and as a faculty member have given me skills and experiences to understand concerns, narrow down those concerns to specific actionable outcomes, and build consensus around solutions. As you consider supporting me, I want to share the approach and values that will shape my service to faculty and staff in this important role. I hope that by understanding my approach and values, you can see how I will work with you, and represent you. Listening closely with care, asking thoughtful open-ended questions, continual transparency, and careful reflection are important approaches to my work throughout my time at CPCC. These approaches are founded upon valuing every single voice, seeking accountability, and finding a yes.

Being ready to carefully listen, and valuing every voice is part of my everyday experience. Colleagues have come to know that I always answer the phone with, “How can I help?”. Sharing time with colleagues to deeply listen to and understand their concerns, ideas, and solutions is essential. Part of valuing all voices through active listening also means asking thoughtful questions. I approach every situation using questions to clarify background information, confirm accuracy, and determine possible solutions. Meaningful transparency is supported when questions are integrated into discussions.

Transparency builds trust and sustained accountability. I believe in transparency that makes sure everyone knows the same set of of information, and is regularly updated. When everyone is one the same page, both trust and accountability will be better served. It is with transparency that people are held accountable. It is also with transparency and reflection that I believe we can find a yes. Bringing together questions, and responses, with deeper reflection toward finding a yes is how I approach many issues. Finding a yes means reflection individually and an in groups toward building consensus wherever possible, and compromise whenever needed.

I hope you can see how I would work with you and represent you as college senate president. It would be my honor to serve staff and faculty in this role. I am also grateful to you for taking time to understand the approach and values that will shape my service.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.