College Senate Elections for President-Elect: April 25-29

College Senate will hold an election for President-Elect 2017-18 beginning April 25-29 with two candidates competing for the position: Denise Keating and Keith Powell.

Visit https://services.cpcc.edu/elections/ to vote April 25-April 29! *

Take a moment to learn about both candidates:

Candidate: Denise Keating

Headshot of candidate Denise Keating

Denise Keating

Bio
As a librarian and library manager at the Harper Campus Library for 5 years, I understand the importance of collaboration to provide the best possible outcome for students and the college community as a whole. My position has afforded me the opportunity to partner with faculty from various programs to design and implement library instruction focused on critical thinking and research skills meeting Critical Core objectives. I also work with students every day and see how each of us can have a positive impact on a student’s life. I have served on College Senate for 3 years and was voted 2015-16 Outstanding Senator by my fellow senators. As chair of the Professional Staff Welfare Committee (PSWC), we have worked to increase senate participation and awareness of College Senate initiatives.

Candidate Statement

Student Success
Student success is dependent on faculty and staff working closely together to provide high quality instruction and support services. College Senate is the voice that ensures that faculty and staff are valued and given the tools and resources to do their jobs, resulting in an engaged community committed to innovation and student success.

Knowledge Sharing
In the age of information overload, let us come together as a community to harness our internal knowledge to spur innovation, engagement and student success. One of the ways to bring forth improved communication, accelerated innovation and strategic learning within our community is to develop a culture of knowledge sharing. Let’s create knowledge sharing solutions where we can easily connect people to information, people to process, and people to people. 

Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Respect
I am committed to fostering a culture of equity, diversity, inclusion and respect where everyone feels they have an opportunity to make a difference. We must be committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse community of employees that reflects the students that we serve and ensuring that all of our community members feel they have a voice.

I am asking for your vote in this coming election. I take this opportunity to serve as President-Elect seriously, and I promise to listen, ask questions, and advocate for our community.

________________________________________________________

Candidate: Keith Powell

Headshot of candidate Keith Powell

Keith Powell

During my tenure as Senate president we have faced several difficult issues related to the quality of life for faculty and professional staff. Under my leadership we were able to constructively forestall the new class size limit expansion (33 student rule), eliminating the additional work load on faculty and any deterioration in the quality of instruction. We were also instrumental in ongoing discussions that promoted the review and eventual changes to the jumbo class size rules related to on-line instruction. I also created a new membership committee AND advocated for and received approval to increase Professional Development credit hours from 3 to 5 hours for everyone. I’m sure both of these advances will continue to strengthen the Senate at large and helps everyone with PD hours.

During these processes I stressed the importance of communication, articulation, and teamwork to promote our faculty and professional staff needs. I am proud we continue to reach milestones in our empowerment without the need for formal proclamations or adversarial positions. I continue to believe our success will continue through mutual problem solving with administration and working as a team; not an adversary to administration and leadership.

I am asking for your vote to continue working for everyone and indeed, the CPCC community at large. My goals to keep reaching out to each campus will be realized as we move forward, further empowering the Senate at large and making our voice united and strong. Again, I ask for your vote and continued support, but in any case, please vote and support your own voice and that of the Senate at large.

*For the College Senate election, eligibility is based on the employee’s position code in colleague (FEP indicates full-time professional staff, FEF indicates full-time faculty) as well as excluding employees with the word ‘Director’ in their official title (as this indicates administrative responsibilities). If you attempt to vote, and the system deems you ineligible, but you feel that you should be considered eligible, please submit a paper ballot to carolyn.jacobs@cpcc.edu before the election deadline of 4/29/17 11:59am. Your eligibility will be verified and ballot counted.

This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.