Is your resume EmployUP ready? Bring copies of your professional resume to EmployUP, CPCC’s career fair that takes place on March 3 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the Grady Cole Center. You’ll be submitting them to employers in hopes of receiving an invitation for a job interview!
What makes a resume EmployUP ready?
- No typos. Carefully review your resume for grammar errors and typos.
- Consistent font style and size. Choose a traditional font style (Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman and Verdana are examples). Use a size that is no smaller than 11 point. Keep sizes consistent for each entry. Whichever size you use for one category title, for example, should be used for all category titles.
- Bullet points. Avoid long paragraph descriptions. Employers don’t read them. Use bullet points instead.
- No “I” statements. Complete sentences aren’t necessary. Start with action verbs to describe your job duties.
- One page length. Keep the resume to one page. Unless you have extensive relevant experience that justifies two pages, resumes should not exceed one page.
- Targeted to specific industries or companies. Research your companies of interest beforehand, and develop your objective and skills sections to match what the companies are seeking.
- Easily identified Education section. Make sure employers can easily see the degree/certificate/diploma you are earning (or have earned). Employers attending EmployUP are looking for specific programs – be sure yours is highlighted.
- Contact information listed at the top of the page. Don’t forget your phone number and email address. If you have a LinkedIn profile, list the url.
How can Career Services help you make your resume EmployUP ready?
Resume reviews. Career Services counselors can review your resume in four ways:
- Schedule a resume appointment with your campus career counselor.
- Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and receive feedback within 24 hours.
- Stop by Central Campus Drop In Hours: Wednesdays and Thursdays 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for a resume review (no appointment necessary)
- Upload your resume to your EmploymeNC account and receive feedback within 24 hours.
Online resume resources. Use the following online resumes to help you develop your resume:
- View the Career Services Resume Tips video.
- Check out the Resume Info Link on the Career Services webpage.
- Review the resume guidelines and samples in the Career Services Career Guide.
EmployUP is just over one month away! Don’t delay in getting your resume ready for this hiring event.